Tyler, Texas
Resolved

Update by user Dec 18, 2014

An ADT employee did call after several days, and said the whole thing was a 'mistake', and that the $400 had been removed from my bill. I checked online that night, and the $400 charge had been removed from my bill.

I am glad it was resolved, but I had to jump through hoops to get them to resolve it. I would definitely not recommend ADT to anyone else - EVER!

Original review posted by user Jul 12, 2014

Two to three months ago, we had a power outage at our house. When the lights came on, the alarm starting sounding with a 'Fire' alarm. We do not have fire monitoring, so I called ADT. After walking me through a few basic troubleshooting steps, the phone CSR scheduled an appointment for a tech to come out and check our system.

The first technician arrived around 11:00a on a Wednesday morning. He looked at the unit, and told my wife it would require a new part. He mentioned that the panel was due to be upgraded, so there would be no charge for the replacement. He left, saying he would call back when he learned of the availability of this part. Around 1:30 to 2:00p that same day, I called ADT to find when the part would be available. I was told it would not be in until Friday, and the next available tech was the following Wednesday. I told the CSR that was unacceptable that we be without an alarm for over 7 days. They told me they were escalating the call, and that someone would call right back. During the rest of the day, I called back four separate times, and was promised every time that someone would call 'right back', but I would never receive a call. Finally, the last person I spoke with said they would have the local Service Manager call me back.

In about 30 minutes, he called me back. I told him my concerns about waiting for the part, and also the installation, and he said he had the part in front of him, and didn't know why I was told it would be several days. He also mentioned that he had a tech that had a cancelled call, and he could come out immediately. I told him my wife would be home, and to send the tech as soon as possible. The second tech arrived, and replaced the damaged panel within the hour.

Now, on Thursday, July 3, 2014, I receive a bill from ADT for $501.53. It also says it is 30 days overdue, yet this is the only notice I have received of this bill. I called the company, and was told that it was determined to be lightning damage, and we now owe this amount. At no time was my wife, nor myself, ever told there would be any charge, or even the possibility of a charge. We did not agree to pay this amount, nor did we sign anything authorizing a charge.

I paid a bit over $400 for the initial install, so why would I have agreed to a $500 charge for just a piece of the original install? Had I been told about this charge (or possibility of a charge), I would have said never mind, and went with another company.

I was told on July 3, 2014 that the CSR was going to contact the local Service Manager, and that he would be in touch with me on Monday July 7th, or Tuesday July 8th. Today is July 12, 2014, and I have never received a call from anyone at ADT. I have also filled out their online 'Contact Us' form on Monday, July 7th, 2014, and have also heard nothing back from that contact.

BBB Compaint #90264286.

Product or Service Mentioned: Adt Security System.

Comments