New York, New York

I ordered adt and had a rep come out and set it up. I opted for automatic billing to a debit card for convenience. Unfortunately my debit card information was compromised and I had a new debit card sent to me. I called adt to update my credit card information but I apparently missed 1 payment due to the timing of receiving a new card. ADT continued to bill me going forward but never billed me for the one missed month. Then one day they sent me a notice that they deemed my account to be a broken contract because I had missed one month. I know owed them $1,458 for the balance of my contract.

When I called to dispute this I was told that although I changed my billing info and they continued to bill me for the months following my missed payment, that changing the billing information does not allow them to bill me for the month I missed, only for future months. So I called and asked how I can fix this situation. I was told they can fix it but they would have to start a new contract because the old one was now invalid. They sent me a new contract and told me I would have to sign it again. So I did.

3 months later I received a collections notice for $1458 from a collections company. I called adt again and they said I would have to call during the week to talk to the customer relations department. I asked if I could get out of my contract now because I feel like I have been extremely wronged by this company they told me I would have to pay $1600 which is 75% of my contract.

So they want 75% of a contract for doing nothing? I get it...termination charges are a part of life. If I was given an itemized bill and charged for the equipment I received I would gladly pay. I would pay a termination fee of $150, $250, even $300, but 75% of a contract for doing nothing is OUTRAGEOUS and slimy.

Product or Service Mentioned: Adt Customer Care.

Comments