2.0
Equipment Quality

It started with a high-pressure sales act and my wife someone who simply must sympathize. The installer was sick, you see, so he saved time for me by doing my rating of him, himself.

He then told us about 'the 96, no 72, no, it must be 5 days, that's it, five days!' and they'd allow us to return it but please, please don't. My wife gave in a day too late. The few times that she'd allow me to temporarily arm the system in those first few days, about 30% of the time it would immediately produce a code once activated (well, not immediate; within 2 hours at the most). It would be $1700 to get out by paying off.

I'll skip some of the rest, except to say that you CANNOT tell them, fine, I have a screwed up contract, just put the system on test until I can close the account. That means that periodically they call me because they haven't had any alarms from my system. Fast forward to Dec 2017. In the space of 3 calls--the first one hung up on me--I went from; hangup; call again--no record of previous call, evidently--connected with 'associate' who tells me it's paid off.

'Great,' I say, 'cancel it'. She asks why and all of the above plus it wouldn't ever be used no matter what. I have the feeling my wife wants me to keep it; fortunately she doesn't dare say it. "Why?" Since that was what led to someone hanging up on me I'm very vague and then I'm transferred over to 'account management' or whatever they call the Customer Service types who interface with Accounting [generic terms, but I've worked in call centers].

I do add in the fact that "I understand that I'm paid off, so I want to quit." Oh, no, there's a substantial termination fee. And either I pay $300 some odd now [as in they've apparently added a time factor when I distinctly remember having asked about early termination and asked if there were fees over and above what was posted as owing; "No."] or I pay half the amount [I am definitely holding my breath] monthly that I do now for another six months and then, why, I can call in to cancel it. Want to know what this reminds me most of? I read my contract with the military.

I had become property and therefore if I damaged myself I could be criminally charged in more than one way. They owed me one meal and one hour of sleep a day.

And so on. Suddenly a lot of science fiction from the 1970s is starting to look like someone with a way of knowing the future, which is sad.

Review about: Adt Customer Care.

Reason of review: Contract and short buyer's remorse time.

Preferred solution: Close the account and let me go now. I already have PTSD--and epilepsy triggered by stress; I'm a Vietnam veteran. [They won't because I've never seen any pleasant resolution to one of these cases and I've personally known people who rented.

I didn't like: Unethical billing and staff.

Comments