I have been an ADT customer for over 5 years. I moved to a new location and unbeknownst to me, this generated a new 3-year contract.

I am no longer able to afford this service and when I called to cancel, I was told it would cost me over $1000.00 to cancel because of this new contract. In addition, the alarm at my new location is hardly detectable. I had someone out to provide me with a louder alarm and was told I'd have to pay an installation fee if I wanted a louder alarm.

BEWARE. Do not do business with this company.

I am now stuck in this contract for two more years, a contract for a useless alarm system. It is no louder than the alarm to remind me to close the refrigerator.

Wow!! I really got taken.

Product or Service Mentioned: Adt Security System.

Reason of review: Pricing issue.

Comments

Atha

Hello PhobicPossum- We thank you for reaching out and reporting your concerns to us, regarding premature cancellation of service. For liability reasons, ADT does not transfer equipment from one location to another.

Our internal policy stipulates that you would be required to cancel your services at the original address and obtain a new system in your new home. You would also be required to sign a new agreement with ADT. However, as a pre-existing customer, you may be eligible for discounts towards your new system. Our relocation team would calculate this amount based on your tenure at the previous location.

Contingent upon all of these conditions being met, ADT would waive any termination balances you would have had at the previous location. ADT installs security equipment at a discounted rate and bases much of our profit on the monitoring fees paid over the course of the agreement. Therefore ADT invests quite a bit into every installation completed. As it stands, the terms of the agreement are fully disclosed at the time of installation.

By signing, you are acknowledging that you have read and understand the presented terms, and accept them. We believe in being transparent, that is why the length of the contract and penalty for premature cancellation is in bold font on the first page of all of our agreements. Please be reminded that ADT automatically discounts the cost of premature cancellation by 25% on all residential accounts. This is a courtesy that you are contractually guaranteed.

This is not to say that ADT does not sympathize with your current situation, as we do. If you are having trouble with the security panel, we can always service the system. If you require additional equipment, such as an external siren, we have these devices available for purchase.

If we may be of greater assistance reviewing, please be encouraged to message us here. ~ Tréchell

ADT Reviews