On September 1, 2018, I called ADT a.k.a. ADT Defender Security System at 1-888-637-1614 to inquire if I could get a lower rate than what I am currently paying my security alarm provider. I had a very pleasant conversation with customer service representative Emanuel (ID#19005) and was thereafter transferred to Supervisor Shauna (ID#17525) to complete the transaction. Supervisor Shauna was giving me the world to get my business; I should have from the on-set realized that this was a red flag. Nonetheless, an installation date was scheduled for Sept. 4th, and I agreed to a charge of $105.93 as installation fee; this fee was immediately charged on my card while we were still on the phone. Supervisor Shana assure me that should I decide to cancel before the installation is completed, my money will be immediately refunded within 3 hours after cancellation.

After speaking with my boyfriend that same night about the intended switch, he strongly voiced out all his concerns about ADT. In the end of our conversation, it came down to a choice between retaining my current provider or my boyfriend refusing to live at my house any longer if I switch to ADT. Given the obvious choice, I chose my personal life.

I immediately called ADT the follow day, September 2, 2018 expecting an easy cancellation (as the scheduled installation date is still 2 days away), but lo and behold, the customer service representative who took the call was not just questioning my reason for cancellation, but was arguing with my reason. Reviewing the synopsis of our conversation before terminating the call, the agent assured me that he has processed a refund of $105.93 back to my credit card and I should see the credit in about three (3) business days.

As it has been 22 days since the cancellation and I have not seen the refund credit yet, I again called ADT on Sept. 24, 2018, and spoke with CSR Mark. He advised me that the agent who cancelled the installation did not process the refund correctly, so much so the payment remains posted in a cancelled account, (meaning my payment is just floating around) left undetected had I not called. At my instance, the call was escalated to Supervisor Sam, who took corrective measures and assured me that he has requested for an expedited refund; further attesting that the same will be released in just 2 to 3 business day, versus the normal 10 – 12 business days.

It is now Oct. 14th, 44 days since cancellation and I still have to see a refund on my credit card. While I have disputed the charge with my credit card company, and because I am unable to provide the former with any document indicating the engagement and cancellation (as the transaction done over the phone verbally) my bank has denied the dispute.

I am left with no recourse at this point but to bring this out in the open via pissed consumer.

Product or Service Mentioned: Adt Security System.

Reason of review: Refund not received despite multiple promises to do so.

I didn't like: Empty promises.

Comments

Thank you for your assistance. Case closed as of 10.17.18 - Refund received.

ADT

We're sorry to hear about this. If you would please email your contact information to AlwaysThere@adt.com, we'd be happy to inquire about the refund with Defender Security.

You can also contact them directly at 1-800-689-9554.

Thank you. -Gabe