I recently called ADT (Defenders in Indianapolis, IN) to obtain a quote on installing a security system in my home. I was told that in order to schedule an appointment, I would have a $99 "reservation" or "hold" fee against my credit card. This supposed to be like reserving a room at a hotel. THIS WAS NOT THE CASE AT ALL! After the call, I checked my bank account and found out that ADT-PROTECT YOUR HOME actually debited $107.33 that day from the account. I was also alerted that the company conducted a credit check through the Equifax credit bureau. I subsequently received an email from them "thanking me for purchasing an ADT monitored home security system". I asked myself, "What is going on here? I had no signed contract. What right did they have to take the funds and conduct a credit check?" I discovered all of this a week later upon returning home. Disgusted I called the company to tell them that I wanted to cancel that appointment, asked why my credit was checked, and wanted my money credited back the same day (just as they immediately debited my account the same day that I secured the appointment). I spoke with Michael Wexler. He told me that he would "press a button" and the funds would be immediately released and that the appointment was cancelled. He told me that he works 10 AM to 6 PM and that I could call him back at 1-800-689-9554. Two days following that conversation with Mr. Weller, the funds were still not returned into my account. I called the company again, spoke to the operator who confirmed that my appointment had been cancelled. However, she said that it would take 7 to 10 business days to return the money. Furthermore, she would not transfer my call to Mr. Weller because my "account" was considered "closed" and I was no longer a customer.

I consider this company to be conducting unethical business practices for the following reasons: 1) They IMMEDIATELY transferred money without my permission, telling me it was a simply a "hold"; 2) They did a credit check without CLEARLY stating that they would do that. (This raises the question of why this was even necessary in order to get a bid for installing a system.); 3) They considered the system to be purchased when I only requested an appointment; 4) They did not immediately return my money, crediting my account; and 5) I was unable to talk to either Mr. Weller or ANY supervisor to obtain more information. I was stopped at the answering operator.

I strongly discourage from doing any business with this company.

Product or Service Mentioned: Adt Customer Care.

Reason of review: Order processing issue.

Preferred solution: Provide IMMEDIATE credit: change business practices to fully inform customer and not misrepresent: do not withhold money for an estimate; be contacted by company executive to further discuss this matter..

ADT Cons: Business practicees.

Comments

The sales calls are recorded with this particular company.

Machele
#1201258

Sounds like you gave them your debit card info and not a credit card. With a credit card you just dispute the charge as non-receipt of services. Debit cards are very dangerous as you now know.

ADT Reviews